THE HISTORY OF OUR ST. AUGUSTINE, SPANISH COLONIAL BUILDING
This one and a half story Spanish Colonial building has its own "St. Augustine" character. The "L" shaped building was placed on the street line with its main entrance through the south side of a fenced in patio. Reconstructed in 1967, the house consists of both masonry and board & batten walls, consistent with early descriptions. It is representative of a Second Spanish Period house (1784-1821).
A Spanish St. Augustine map, made in the early 1760's, shows the 58 Charlotte Street dwelling belonging to Juan de Muros. When British moved into Florida in 1763, most Spaniards moved to Havana. During the British Period (1763-1784) the house was first owned by William Wilson, who made additions, and later by Joseph and Mary Peavett who owned other property, including the "Oldest House". The Peavetts sold to James Scotland, who describes the house as a "good stone house consisting of three good rooms and a garrett with a kitchen, and garden, well fenced and in a very public situation for trade".
Spain reclaimed Florida in 1783. The Spanish census indicates that the house was then owned by Englishman, William Slater. Records show a sale to Luciano de Herrera in 1785. Herrera was a Spanish government appointee selected to remain as a liaison between the old British and new Spanish regimes. Herrera also acted as mediator between the Indian tribes and the province and later served as a spy for Spain during the American Revolution. A 1788 map describes the building as a "house of masonry, and some divisions of wood, in fair condition, rented by Don Luciano de Herrera to the tailor Eduardo Esten".
Herrera's heirs sold the house in 1789 to the sea captain, Miguel Isnardy who was successful in the building trade and was the contractor for the building of the Cathedral. He sold the property by 1792 to Pedro de Cala, a free black man. The house was described as "of stone, wood and shell, on St. Charles Street". Other owners included Jose Lorente in 1794, Don Gabriel Guillermo Perpall in 1803 and then prominent resident, George Burt.
After the Civil War, the area gradually deteriorated to a depressed business district. Maps show the site occupied in 1884 by a business complex which housed a cabinet shop, furniture store and an undertaker among other businesses. The structure burned in 1914, and was vacant until the late 1920's. A parking garage was built, then demolished in 1966.
The house was reconstructed in 1967 as it appeared during Herrera's time, with all the exterior charm and atmosphere of a Spanish colonial home.
Susan and Jorge Talavera invite you to enjoy creative continental cuisine for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch in this historically reconstructed house in the Nation's Oldest City.
Call to Reserve Your Table 904-824-3282
58 Charlotte Street St. Augustine, FL 32084
Lunch - Tuesday to Saturday 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner - Tuesday to Sunday 5:00PM until Close
Sunday Brunch - 10:00AM to 3:00PM